Friday, February 10, 2012

LibraryThing: Albion's Seed

Today is a busy blogging day. I learned about LibraryThing and GoodReads. I chose to subscribe to LibraryThing. I've shared a few of my favorite books. In the future, I will add some of my "wish list" books. I like that LibraryThing can help me set some reading goals and also help me find some good books to look for.

Among the books I listed, my favorite is Albion's Seed by David Hackett Fischer. It took me about 2 years to completely read it. Albion is the ancient name for Great Britain. The seed are the many emigrants who left Great Britain and settled the world. The author's premise is that the emigrants had very specific cultural differences which they brought with them. These cultural differences explain many of our regional differences in the United States. He goes so far as to claim that the seeds of the U.S. Civil War were planted before the American Revolution ever began.

Great read. Just be patient. I had to put it down several times and pick it up again before I finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment